On Dec 15, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Wellenreuther, Gerd wrote:

> Hi Perry,
>
> to clarify what I am doing - maybe the error lies in here:
>
> * First I am building up a list of the corrected+rotated images
>
> * After that is done I am creating the figure
>
> * Then looping over every image, creating proper axes for each
> individual image and finally:
>
>>        pylab.imshow(rotated_images[i],aspect='auto')
>>        rotated_images[i]=[]
>>        gc.collect(2)
>
> So I am trying to immediately delete the now obsolete image-data, by
> removing the reference and forcing garbage collection. No idea whether
> this is the proper/best way to do it ... but at least I hope my
> intention is clear :).
>
> Anyone an idea how to improve?

if the above code is in a loop, and there is no figure clearing in the
loop, then

rotated_images[i] = []
gc.collect(2)

will have no effect since matplotlib will still have references to the
array (and generally, you never need to call gc.collect by the way).

What isn't clear to me in this is how you handle the offsetting and
combining of images. Normally imshow will just display one image right
over the other. Can you just  insert the appropriate subsampled image
into one output image, and then display that. After the insertion, you
can delete the input image inside  the loop.

Perry