Phillip M. Feldman wrote:
> What is meant by "draw time"?

When you call text(...), a Text object is created and added to a list of
things (Artists) to be drawn, but no drawing occurs (unless using pyplot
in interactive mode) until a draw(), show(), or savefig() command is
given.  That's "draw time".

> For most purposes, I think that I'd want to specify an offset in font
> units (points).  If offsets are specified in units of pixels, then the
> results would be display-dependent, and achieving display-independent
> results would require some additional fiddling.  I would recommend
> allowing the user to select units of points, pixels, mm, inches, or plot
> units, with a default of points.

Much easier said than done, unfortunately.  Not impossible.  Who's going
to bell the cat?

Eric