I can't get Matplotlib to work with IDLE.  plt.show() makes beutiful plots,
but IDLE is hung.  Entering "exit" in the little pop-up console window
raises an exception in IDLE, and then leaves the plot window hung. It looks
like the old "dualing event loops" problem with IDLE, although the
Matplotlib docs don't use that phrase.

The way I ususally solve this is to use IDLE for editing my scripts, and a
separate shell to actually run them.  Here, I'm not using a saved script.
This needs to work interactively, for students using Python in a physics
class.  I see that little console window, and it sure looks like that was
intended to do what I need, but I can't find any documentation on the
commands.  How do I switch back and forth between IDLE and the plot window
without leaving some process in limbo?  Even better, is there an option to
have the event loop automatically switch back to IDLE after each update?

I'm running on Mac OS-X, so it looks like IPython is not an option.  Also, I
would rather stick with IDLE.  It is the perfect IDE for non-CS students who
shouldn't be spending their time on the complexities of a plotting package.