Thanks for the info. I'm semi-resistant to ipython. I tried if for a few hours, and it seemed a bit too much like linux. Years ago I used linux a lot, and enjoyed it. I'll consider it. Windows is the game now.

Yes, actual use is good, but the needed imports seem a bit baffling. scipy, pylab, matplotlib, ...? What components do  I only need for a particular use?

The videos you mentioned could be helpful.

I do not belong to any group, and my small town is a long way from any educational resources.What I learn is from a few books, FAQs, and recently the MPL Guide. Within a 50 mile radius, I know exactly one other person who knows Python. He's a very bright high school student.