I am not a MPL developer, but I am using mplot3d quite heavily right now to
support 3D plots for a client of mine.  I have found many bugs and lacking
features which I require in the mplot3d library and have modified my local copy
of the code significantly.  I am eagerly awaiting Reinier's return from
vacation so that I can work with him to integrate my improvements.  For the
most part, these fixes simply make the 3D plots behave more like the 2D plots.
Here is a tentative list of my changes so far:

 * bug fix: placement of title in 3D plots to match 2D plot behavior
 * bug fix: allow facecolors and edgecolors to be specified as 'none' in 3D
scatter plots to match the 2D scatter plot behavior
 * bug fix: allow all keyword arguments to be used in text3D
 * bug fix: allow an array of colors to be passed into bar3d to specify the
colors on a per-bar or per-face basis
 * bug fix: allow all keyword arguments to be used in bar3d
 * bug fix: allow 3d scatter plots with 3 or 4 points with colors specified
 * new feature: new method to disable mouse rotation in 3D plots
 * new feature: new Z-order sorting heuristic to eliminate rendering issues for
the common case of using bar3d to visualize a 2D histogram
 * new feature: new method text2D
 * code cleanup: warn when canvas is None which disables mouse callbacks
 * code cleanup: fully document more methods in mplot3d

Although I haven't written them yet, I can probably create a couple more
example codes:
 * example code: demonstrate use of transform() to do rectangle selection in 3D
scatter plots
 * example code: mplot3d with wx - demonstrate turning off mouse rotations to
make pan and zoom toolbar buttons work properly

There are a few other bugs that I would really like fixed, but can't quite
figure out right now.  Hopefully Reinier will be able to shed some light on
these:
 * axis label picking for 3D axes
 * how to set axis tick label properties for 3D axes
 * allow 3d boxes with transparent faces to make "wireframe" boxes
 * fix z-order sorting across multiple calls to bar3d()

I should note that because of my client, I have a vested interest in seeing
mplot3d (with the above bug fixes) make it into a stable release of MPL.  But
at the same time, I don't have a lot of spare time to spend on MPL development.

Thanks,
-Ben