On 2/24/2010 2:36 AM, Friedrich Romstedt wrote:
>  Can you explain to me why you are so restrictive about GPLed code?  I
>  mean, it's all OSS?

The licenses are very different: BSD (and MIT) do not impose a viral
copyleft.  This is why Python is not GPL, nor is NumPy or Matplotlib.
People writing code under BSD-like licenses must carefully avoid viral
infection from GPL'd code.

Second, while John Hunter's views are not identical to mine, he
makes a collection of important points about licensing here:
http://neuroimaging.scipy.org/site/doc/manual/html/faq/johns_bsd_pitch.html
I'm going to treat John's note as enough of an answer to your question
unless you want more discussion.

Naturally, since you wrote the code, you get to choose the license, and
your choice is obviously none of my business.  Hopefully that goes
without saying, but I'll say it to avoid misunderstanding.

>  Did you notice that it is not an example but an independent standalone
>  package?  I'm not shure about this because you always talk about
>  "example".  But maybe the summary is way too long, though ...

Since you posted this on Matplotlib, I assumed you wanted people to be
able to look at how you did it, not just use it.  I am not diminishing
the application by saying it looks to be a nice example of how to embded
Matplotlib in Tk.  If it were BSD-licensed I would probably get around
to looking at your code.

Alan Isaac