On 15/03/2010 14:37, Kim Hansen wrote:
Hi Werner

2010/3/15 Werner F. Bruhin <werner.bru...@free.fr <mailto:werner.bru...@free.fr>>

    Hi Kim,

    Changing the line 560 in mathtext.py from:
               font = FT2Font(basename)
    to:
               font = FT2Font(str(basename))

    Fixed it for me, I don't know what FT2Font does and why this
    matters - hopefully someone else can expand on this.

This worked here as well - sort of, at least.
It was just a guess, as I noticed that the other call to FT2Font is using str too.
It does not crash anymore, but the LaTeX $\alpha-\beta$ in the title is not rendered correctly in the title of the graph for the users who had problems before.
Yeap, I see this now too.

I guess it must be due to some fonts not being available in the dist, which are available to me and others. I do not know if there is a way to patch up setup.py such that the needed fonts are included in the dist?
It should be there, i.e. mpl-data in the lib/site-packages/matplotlib folder has the same number of files and folders as the one created by setup.py in dist.

But it obviously doesn't find it or some other setting to handle the LaTex stuff is not there.

Put this at the top of alphabeta.py, i.e. just after import matplotlib

matplotlib.verbose.level = u'debug'

and change setup.py to generate a console app. If I run this on my dev machine the output shows that fonts are found, but if I run it on the py2exe'd version lots of STIX fonts are not found. Even so these fonts are in mpl-data/fonts/ttf of the py2exe dist folder.

So, I think/guess that the font searching is not done correctly, as running with verbose "debug" it shows that it finds the mpl-data folder in the dist folder or wherever you copy dist too.

Hopefully someone who knows how the font searching is done can help out/point to the culprit.

    Attached your setup.py a bit simplified as you are using
    matplotlib 0.99.

Thank you. I am using your setup.py now. It was very kind of you to send that.
You are welcome
Werner