Hello,

I upgraded to the latest svn version of matplotlib today, and found that eps
files produced with the system latex now seem to be invalid. For example, if I
run the following script

import matplotlib
matplotlib.use('Agg')
import matplotlib.pyplot as mpl

mpl.rc('text', usetex=False)

fig = mpl.figure()
ax = fig.add_subplot(1,1,1)
fig.savefig('test_notex.eps')

mpl.rc('text', usetex=True)

fig = mpl.figure()
ax = fig.add_subplot(1,1,1)
fig.savefig('test_tex.eps')

and try running pstopdf on them (on MacOS 10.6) I get the following

air:air tom$ pstopdf test_tex.eps
%%[ Warning: Empty job. No PDF file produced. ] %%
air:air tom$ pstopdf test_notex.eps
air:air tom$

So the file with the system LaTeX enabled no longer works. ps2pdf still works,
but the error with pstopdf is important, because for example Preview.app on mac
relies on pstopdf, not ps2pdf.

I tried this on two different computers under MacOS 10.6, and tried with
ghostscript 8.70 and 8.71 installed, and the problem occurs either way.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I submitted a bug report a little
while back about this

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2974953&group_id=80706&atid=560720

Thanks in advance for any help,

Thomas