On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Michael Droettboom <md...@stsci.edu> wrote:
> It seems the relevant change is in r8102: "fix some issues in the bbox
> after the postscript distiller is run".  This change removed a commented
> out call to ps2eps.  I'm a bit out of my depth here as to why that
> change was made, and why .eps files seemingly haven't been true .eps
> files for a long time prior to that change.  Anyone else?

To my best knowledge, the bbox of the eps output before r8102 was
incorrect for some cases. r8102 was my attempt to fix some of the
issues. The ps backend is quite complicated in how final output is
produced (psfrag, distiller, pstoeps), and this often messes up the
initially specified bbox and results in incorrect ones. While I think
I fixed some of the issues, there still could be some left. And I hope
someone who is more knowledgeable than me take a look.

For the reported issue, I haven't take a time to investigate (but I
will soon), but I doubt if it is an issue of pstoeps function (as I
said, it seems to write a matching save-restore pair).

Regards,

-JJ