John Hunter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Jae-Joon Lee <lee.j.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John, the relevant code to define the "colors" attribute seems to be
>> written by you. Maybe this is some matlab convention? Can you comment
>> on this?
>
> The original color letters did come from matlab, and some of the color
> RGB choices, like the background for the subplot gray, I got using a
> color picker on my screen for maximum compatibility, but I do not
> recall if that was the case for 'm', 'c'  and 'y'.  Most likely these
> were the rgb values of the matlab colors.
>
> The html colors were submitted later by another user, and apparently
> we never checked for consistency.   I think this is a wart, and I
> don't feel strongly about keeping it or changing it for consistency in
> the trunk ahead of 1.0 (it should remain as is on the branch).  If we
> change it on the trunk, we should change the single letter codes to
> correspond to the html full color name standards, rather than the
> other way around.

I would be cautious about making this change. At least on my laptop
screen, with the default white axes background, the single-letter colors
show up better than the html versions.  It makes sense to me for the
single-letter colors to be chosen for good visibility and contrast in
actual use, not for consistency with the html names.  In fact, I see no
good argument for consistency in this case.

Eric