Eric,

Thanks a lot for the pointers. Sorry for the double posting.

I tried fill_between, which works better than bar graph.
But I need to change the data set to be able to get the filling
into a nicely-formed rectangle, and the performance is still not very good.

As the below example shows:

import matplotlib.mlab as mlab
from matplotlib.pyplot import figure, show
import numpy as np

x1 = np.arange(0.0, 10000.0, 0.1)
y1 = np.sin(2*np.pi*x1)

fig = figure()
ax1 = fig.add_subplot(111)

x = []
for i in x1:
    x += [i-0.05, i-0.05, i, i+0.05, i+0.05]

y = []
for i in y1:
    y += [0, i, i, i, 0]

ax1.fill_between(x, 0, y)

I have also tried step, but it doesn't seem to be able
to fill the rectangular area. Am I missing something?

Kun