Eric Firing wrote:

 > On 05/03/2010 11:45 PM, Kun Hong wrote:
 >>
 >> I have also tried step, but it doesn't seem to be able
 >> to fill the rectangular area. Am I missing something?
 >>

 > Given that you want filled regions, step won't help.  It might make
 > sense to make the step logic available to fill_between, but this has not
 > been done yet.

This will be more elegant. Hope it can be implemented eventually.

 > I don't understand what you really want, though; your code above is
 > trying to plot 100,000 bars.  Your screen probably has fewer than 2000
 > pixels width.  You can print with higher resolution than that, but if
 > you are making plots for printing, usually the performance is not such
 > an issue--and even then, I don't think that packing 100,000 bars onto a
 > sheet of paper is going to be very useful.

Eric, you are right. But the above is just a sample I put up quickly to
test.
My real program does need to display filled step regions for 10000+ data
points. But I guess, I can live with displaying the first 1000 points in the
initial show of the graph, after confirming the performance is expected for
this amount of data. Thanks a lot for the help.

Kun