On Jun 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
> Anyway, it's been common practice to build binaries for the python.org
> python -- it's the way to reach the widest audience. MPL used to do this. I
> suspect the latest binary is a mistake, but if not, it should be Clearly
> labeled as for the ApplePython2.6-osx-10.6, and ideally, a python.org
> compatible binary provided as well. I'm sorry I can't find the time to do
> that myself right now.

I'll be ok for the time being.  I've been using matplotlib, scipy, and numpy
(and variants) for the past 5 years or so on OS X.  Every time I go to
upgrade, the recommended procedure changes.  The previous version still runs
however, so I'll survive.

It would be useful though to make a note for whoever packages official
releases of matplotlib for OS X to make sure they are targeting the
python.org install of python.  numpy and scipy also do this.  It makes it a
lot easier to push python as a Matlab/IDL replacement if potential users can
just download four dmgs (python, numpy, scipy, and matplotlib) and it all
just works out of the box.

Thanks for the help!

Tim