Jim Vickroy wrote:
> The attachment is a simple script that creates a 2D array of unsigned,
> 8-bit integers and uses matplotlib to save it as a PNG file.
>
> Unfortunately, the PNG file is much larger than expected -- apparently
> because it is True-Color; on my MS Windows machine, bit depth, for the
> file, is listed as 32 rather than the expected 8.

> Can matplotlib  be used to accomplish this?  If so, could someone direct
> me to where this is discussed?

I don't think so directly. MPL uses a 32 bit image buffer internally,
and that's what gets saved out in the PNG.

You can post-process the image with something like ImageMagick.

Another alternative is to use PIL -- you can grab the matplotlib buffer,
make a PIL image out of it, and use PIL to convert to an 8-bit palleted
image.

For that matter, you could probably bypass MPL, and use numpy to create
the 8-bit image you want, and PIL to save it as a PNG.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov