2010/8/8 Simon Friedberger <simon+matplot...@a-oben.org>:
> I have found a solution. I'm not sure if it's good or intended but the
> following works:
>
> for label in xax.get_ticklabels():
>        label.set_rotation(45)
>        label.set_horizontalalignment('left')

This is fully intended.  Maybe you can compare with the version
attached, I believe my version should have some minor improvement (the
labels are anchored all with the baseline's leftmost point at the
center of the grid cell).  I have not tried your version, though.

You got rid of the +0.4 with your solution I believe?

Also, for the previous pocoo version still online there, I had a
problem with the "superduperverylonglabel".  It was shiftet to the
left.  What is understandable from the point of view that matplotlib
anchored the labels' center point at x + 0.4.

> Please comment. Apart from that it's here for people who look for a
> solution to the same question.

Yes, I agree fully, but have been busy the past few days :-)

Friedrich

P.S.: You can also try
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/alignment_test.html
, I believe there was some other manual around also covering the
baseline option, but I cannot find it now.