On Aug 11, 2010, at 6:56 AM, Rob Schneider wrote:

> I extract data out of a database (via Django and Python).  I'm drawing two
> bar charts.  One is a stacked bar, and one is a simple bar.
> The code for each graph is in their own function.  I call the function to
> draw the graph sequencially (in function "CreateAllWebSite() below).
>
> Problem is that when I do this, the graph called second comes out all
> jumbled.  See attached copies of png files.  If I swap the function calls,
> always first is ok and the the second one is jumbled.  If I call them one at
> a time, they both work just fine (which is how i developed the second).  once
> put together, the second is wrong.  For example, the legend from the first
> graph gets put on the second graph . The x-axis for the second is all jumbled
> at the bottom left corner of the graph instead of along the x-axis properly.
>
> I'm using Matplotlib 0.98.5.3 on OS X.  I will upgrade to 1.0 of Matplot lib
> soon.
>
> I suspect some sort of memory issue; perhaps caused by how I import
> matplotlib in the global section of the python program; but far as I can tell
> this is correct, or is it?  I suspect memory as how else would legend from
> the first graph get put on the second graph? Is there some sort of reset
> function to call to clear out the old graph? I sort of thought that calling a
> completely different function would cover that.
>
> Here's the code extract with portions I think no relevant snipped out. From
> debugging I'm confident the number arrays holding the data is ok.  As I said,
> when producing the graphs one at a time, it work fine.  So that code snipped
> out below.
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> # −*− coding: UTF−8 −*−
>
> import matplotlib
> matplotlib.use('Agg') # before importing pyplot per docs
> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
> import numpy as np
>
> [snipped the import of Python and Django libraries]

> def CreateAllWebSite():
>  # here is the one function that calls the two graphing functions
> sequentially.
>  # whichever of these is called first is done fine.  Second flawed.  calling
> one at at time, each works ok
>  CreateMemberStatFigure()
>  CreateMemberStatCategoryFigure()
> ###############################################
> def CreateMemberStatFigure():
> # this function creates a stacked bar chart
> [snipped out portions where arrays created]

Hi Rob,

It would be helpful if you could provide a runnable example. I know it's a
pain, but you should simplify your example so that it's runnable with only
matplotlib and numpy You should create some fake data to replace these portions
that you've cut out. Plus there are some (Django?) classes/functions/globals
that are undefined.

Best,
-Tony