> Agreed. The only thing I can think of is that the second figure is
> reusing the first. You can try calling plt.figure() at the beginning
> of the functions to create a new figure, or call plt.figure() in
> between the calls to CreateMemberStatCategoryFigure() and
> CreateMemberStatFigure(). I can't be sure since you didn't include the
> code that actually calls these functions.
>
> Ryan
>

> --
> Ryan May
> Graduate Research Assistant
> School of Meteorology
> University of Oklahoma
>
> -

Ryan,

Thanks.  Indeed I did provide the code that actually calls these functions and
the functions show all plotting-related lines.  Yes, I did not provide the
single line call that calls the function that calls the two plotting functions,
nor did I provide the call which starts the Python program. And I did not
provide runnable code. Everyone's attention was on what code I did or did not
provide. It was all there.  Naively I thought by code inspection by experts who
read this mailing list they could quickly spot my flaw.

And a flaw it turned out to be.

I took your suggestion to put a plt.figure() call at the beginning of each
function that generates a plot and the problem disappeared.  Now calling each
plotting function sequentially within the same instance of a Python program the
second plot does not get scrambled.  This is good as it now provides the
automation I was hoping for.

I've now also found
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/pyplot_api.html#matplotlib.pyplot.figure
and
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/pyplot_api.html#matplotlib.pyplot.close
which look to be important.  I was not aware of the need for these functions
before.  Oversight on my part. Using them now.

I'm now off doing more productive things.  thanks for the pointer!!