On Sep 8, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Jeremy Conlin wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Tony S Yu <tsy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 8, 2010, at 11:56 AM, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>>
>>> I have trouble getting any symbols or any super/sub scripts to work
>>> since I upgraded to 1.0 a few months ago.  I always get a message
>>> saying that some font isn't found.  This occurs whenever I try to put
>>> symbols, superscripts, or subscripts in a label, or when I use a log
>>> scale (because then it MPL has to use superscripts).  I have tried
>>> changing my matplotlibrc file but haven't found any combination of
>>> settings that help.
>>>
>>> To illustrate the problem, I have included three files, one python
>>> file and the other the error as captured from the output as well as my
>>> matplotlibrc file.  The python file is trivial:
>>>
>>> # -------------------------------------------------
>>> import matplotlib.pyplot as pyplot
>>>
>>> pyplot.plot([1,2,3], label='$\alpha > \beta$')
>>>
>>> pyplot.legend()
>>> pyplot.show()
>>> # -------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Can someone please help me figure out what is wrong?  I'm on a Mac
>>> running 10.6, python 2.6, matplotlib 1.0, and I have TeX installed.
>>>
>> Works on my system if you use a raw string (note ``r`` before string):

>> Does that fix your problem?
>
> Unfortunately, no.  When I use a raw string, I just get "*a@" instead
> of the expected result.  See attached figure for proof.  I still get a
> long list of errors of fonts not being found.
>
> Jeremy
> <mathfont.pdf>

Hmm, that strange. All the fonts it says aren't found are fonts that should be
included in the Matplotlib install. I have pretty much the same setup as you
(OSX 10.6, python 2.6), although I'm on Matplotlib trunk. Is it possible your
install got screwed up some how. Have you tried a clean install of Matplotlib?

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I won't be of much help, since I can't really
reproduce this on my system. Maybe, someone who knows the font system better
can help.

Best,
-Tony