It may not be an MPL issue, but rather Snow Leopard.

I have a friend who had font troubles, but it was because Mac OSX 10.6
(Snow Leopard) changed the way fonts are handled.  He had a file in
his home directory (which he created on 10.5) which had some font
specifications, which he had to alter/remove to fix his trouble.

I can't remember any more details, but thought I would share in case
this helps.

Andre