OK, I spoke a little too soon last time.  I reinstalled it tonight and looked a
little closer.  Essentially all of the regular files under
.../site-packages/matplotlib/... and its subdirectories have permissions
similar to
not just the mpl-data subdir, and I guess they should be something like
-rw-r--r--

Also, I looked into why I couldn't chmod; apparently our "labadmin" account
wasn't given permission to chmod or chown anybody else's files, so I need to
talk to our IT guy about that.
peter