I'm implementing a strip chart class by setting the data in a Line2D
(well, one or more Line2D instances tied to one or more Subplots).

However, I find that when I do this I can't get the y axis to autoscale,
even if I create the Line2Ds with animate=False.

Am I overlooking something really basic? If not, any suggestions?

Perhaps I should keep track of the y limits myself. That saves time when
adding a new data point because I can compare it to cached limits
(instead of scanning the whole data set). But it quickly gets messy if
one handles nan correctly and matplotlib already does this so I was
thinking matplotlib must have API code to help with this. But so far
I've not figured it out from the docs (though matplotlib.ticker looks
promising).

-- Russell