I just installed matplotlib-1.0.0 on my system (Snow Leopard, python 2.7),
but somehow when I try to import pyplot i get the error below.

For reference, I installed matplotlib from source. Prior to that I installed
libpng-1.4.4 and freetype-2.4.2 the usual way (./configure, make, make
install) plus I installed pkgcong as well. After getting the error I tried
the tips Friedrich R gave in this thread (
http://old.nabble.com/Symbol-not-found-td28994434.html) too, but I still get
the error.

>From a few google attempts it seems that it is an issue of dynamic vs static
linking. I can't say that I know what that is, but I'd be very interested in
knowing whether I can do anything from my side to sort things out.

Here is the error:

>>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in <module>
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py",
line 23, in <module>
    from matplotlib.figure import Figure, figaspect
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/figure.py",
line 18, in <module>
    from axes import Axes, SubplotBase, subplot_class_factory
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/axes.py",
line 14, in <module>
    import matplotlib.axis as maxis
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/axis.py",
line 10, in <module>
    import matplotlib.font_manager as font_manager
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py",
line 52, in <module>
    from matplotlib import ft2font
ImportError:
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so,
2): Symbol not found: _FT_Attach_File
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup