On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Guy Griffiths <guy.griffi...@reading.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using matplotlib for a while for plotting scientific data, and
>> recently upgraded from version 0.99.1.1 to 1.0.0.  Primarily I use pcolor
>> produce plots of concentration in 2D space.  I use reasonably fine meshes,
>> and
>> in v0.99.1.1 the output looked great.
>>
>> In v1.0.0, all of my plots (using the same code) have faint gridlines
>> visible.
>> Since the mesh I am using is quite fine, this makes the plots look
>> terrible
>> (i.e. more gridlines than actual data).  This seems to be controlled by
>> the
>> "edgecolors" keyword, but even when set to 'none' they are still there.
>>  Is
>> there any way to remove them completely without reverting back to 0.99.1.1
>> (which I'd prefer not to do, since some of the API changes are really
>> useful
>> for creating very polished graphs suitable for publication)?
>>
>> imshow seems to have closer results to what I want (i.e. no gridlines),
>> but
>> with imshow, the axes denote the pixel position, and there is no option to
>> display on polar axes (which is essential).
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Guy Griffiths
>>

> Guy, I have noticed something similar a few months ago with pcolor, but I am
> not certain if it is the same problem as yours.  First, which backend are
> you using?  Second, are you seeing the grid lines in both the figure window
> and the saved output?  Also, what format are you saving your output to?
> Lastly, which pcolor function are you using (pcolor(), pcolormesh(),
> pcolorfast())?
>
> If you could include a screenshot or the saved file, I could see if it is
> similar to my problem.

Yeah, I had noticed a problem with pcolor too. You can see the problem
I've been seeing here:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/pcolor_demo.html

Calling pcolor with antialiased=False removes the lines, but that's
just a workaround, not a solution.  I'm not really sure where to start
to track this down, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Ryan

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant