Browsing the web I think I find the solution :)
Hope this helps other users:
The only thing I did is to delete the file:
D:\Documents and Settings\Daniele\.matplotlib\fontList.cache
NB: My windows user is Daniele
Then start the exe and all is plotted correctly!

NB2: everytime I change the name of the "dist" directory I also have to
re-delete the fontList.cache file!

Daniele