On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Yuri D'Elia <wav...@users.sf.net> wrote:
> I consider bbox_extra_artists some kind of a hack (IMHO, all artists should
> be considered with a 'tight' box), but coming from gnuplot/asymptote maybe my
> point of view is biased.
> What would be the point of a 'tight' box that excludes parts of the plot? I
> would specify the coordinates myself if I needed clipping.

In fact, supporting the "bbox_inches" is a real hack.
As I mentioned in my previous email, matplotlib artists can have
spline paths. And artists can also be clipped by an arbitrary spline
path. And, generally speaking, finding out the exact bounding box of
an artist is difficult (but I must confess that I'm not an expert on
this field and any correction or advise will be appreciated). I
believe the AGG library, that matplotlib is based on, can provide an
approximate bounding box for spline paths, but I'm not sure if it will
work when clipping is involved (at least, the  *get_window_extent*
does not properly work when clipping is involved).

I'll consider to support all artists in a "tight" bbox mode if
*get_window_extent* gives back exact bounding box (accounting the
clipping) for "all" artists. Otherwise, I'm not inclined to do this.

Regards,

-JJ