Pål Gunnar Ellingsen <paa...@gmail.com> writes:

> This is very strange I agree. I checked the pdftex.map file and it has
> changed due to me upgrading texlive 2011 during a normal fedora update some
> days ago. I've checked the log for the update, and the update contained a
> new updmap.cfg (which is the script for generating pdftex.map), which
> explains the difference in pdftex.map, though it does not help with solving
> the problem.

So it might be caused by updmap configuration. Are you able to compile
TeX source files that contain text in cmr12 using pdftex? E.g., put

    \documentclass[12pt]{article}
    \begin{document}
    foo bar
    \end{document}

in foo.tex and try pdflatex foo.tex. If you run into errors, or if the
output file has ugly bitmap Type-3 fonts like TeX-produced pdf files
used to have in the 1990s, it's clearly a bug in your TeX installation.
If not, it's more a problem in dviread's hijacking of pdftex.map for its
own purposes.

(Oh, I see that your problem is already fixed, but maybe future
searchers will benefit from this suggestion.)

> http://www.linux.cz/pipermail/texlive/2011-March/000105.html(removing
> texlive-amsfonts (without dependencies) and installing it again)
> I tried the solution used there, and it worked, meaning that pdftex.map now
> contains cmr12 and my test.py file runs properly and gives me a nice pdf
> file.

A simpler fix might have been "sudo updmap-sys --enable MixedMap=cm.map".

> So again sorry for messing this up. I would like to thank you very much for
> your help.

No problem, and good that you got it sorted out!

--
Jouni K. Seppänen
http://www.iki.fi/jks