The easiest solution would be to put a comma as the delimiter between the
lat and lon, and then change split(' ') to split(',').  Then everything
should work fine.  I exclusively work with comma separated files for this
exact reason.  You are right that I had a typo, it should be lons[i].  It
looks like you have two spaces as the delimiter currently based on your
copy-paste.  That's why split doesn't give you two values.  In general I
recommend that you avoid two spaces as the delimiter, just going to cause
problems.
----
Ian Bell
Graduate Research Assistant