Hi Mark,

I really didn't tested anything about yours sketch... But I think
"AxisArtist" could be of any help.
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/mpl_toolkits/axes_grid/users/overview.html#axisartist

Good luck.

Cheers,
Arnaldo.
---
*Arnaldo D'Amaral Pereira Granja Russo*
Lab. de Estudos dos Oceanos e Clima
Instituto de Oceanografia - FURG

2012/6/15 Asbach, Mark <mark.asb...@iais.fraunhofer.de>

>  Hi there,
>
> I'm sorry to ask such a newbie question, but I'd like to format a custom
> box plot and although there are numerous examples on the web and tons of
> docstrings in matplotlib, I'm stuck somehow. My problems center around axes
> / spines. In detail, my problems are:
>
> 1) I want an y-axis on the left that spans from -0.6 to 1.1, ends in an
> arrow, has major ticks at 0 and 1 and minor ticks at [0.1...0.9]
> As far as I understand, there is no option to let spines end in an arrow
> head, so I have to draw the myself. I get the ticks to appear at the right
> positions and the y-range to be as desired - however, the spine line is not
> drawn over the full y-range, but only where there is data in the diagram.
> Also, I copied the arrow annotation code blindly from an older post on this
> list, but do not understand how I can adapt the arrow head to appear at a
> data position (instead of at the corner of the Axes area). One problem is,
> that I get ticks on the right although that spine was disabled.
>
> 2) I want some kind of x-axis at y==0, without ticks and without arrow
> Using some methods on the spines, I can disable the top spine and move the
> bottom spine to zero. However, as with the y-axis, I cannot control from
> where to where the line itself is drawn.
>
> As attachments, you'll find a hand sketch of what my graph should look
> like and matplotlib code that goes nearly all the way.
>
> I would be very happy about a hint on how to fix the problems left.
>
> Thanks an advance,
> Mark

<<boxplot_sketch.png>>