This is essentially a query about why certain histogram types
are not offered.  I can see two possible answers: haven't gotten
to them, or, don't want to offer them (e.g., they're bad practice).

I will choose Stata as a point of comparison.
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?hist
The types are density, fraction, frequency, and percent.
Frequency corresponds of mpl's normed=False.
Density corresponds of mpl's normed=True.
Today I wanted the 'fraction' type, but mpl did not offer it.
(Note that because of other elements of the graph, hacks like
replacing the ticklabels won't work nicely.)

If there is not sentiment against offering these types,
I suggest that the `normed` keyword accept strings,
including "fraction" and "percent", and that `hist`
be extended to produce these types.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac