Hi Brad,

Have you have tried using the tabular environment?
I haven't tried using \vspace inside the figure, but I suspect that would also
let you squeeze the figures closer together.

\begin{figure}
\begin{tabular}{cc} %for a two columns of figures
\includegraphics[width=0.48\textwidth]{figure_a}
&
\includegraphics[width=0.48\textwidth]{figure_b}
\\
$(a)$ & $(b)$
\\
\includegraphics[width=0.48\textwidth]{figure_c}
&
\includegraphics[width=0.48\textwidth]{figure_d}
\\
\end{tabular}
\caption{\label{fig:your_label} your caption}
\end{figure}

Andre