________________________________
 From: Jeff Whitaker <jeffrey.s.whita...@noaa.gov>
To: Michael Rawlins <rawlin...@yahoo.com>; Matplotlib Users
<matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] netcdf4-python build

On 9/19/12 11:30 AM, Michael Rawlins wrote:

>Ubuntu 12.04
>

>hdf5-tools installed from package manager
>

>netcdf-bin and python-netcdf installed from package manager
>

>I downloaded netCDF4-1.0fix1.tar.gz from
>http://code.google.com/p/netcdf4-python/downloads/list
>

>> python setup.py build
>

>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lhdf5_hl
>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lhdf5
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lhdf5_hl
>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lhdf5
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>error: Command "gcc -pthread -shared -Wl,-O1
          -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
          build/temp.linux-i686-2.7/netCDF4.o -L/usr/local/lib
          -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib
          -lnetcdf -lhdf5_hl -lhdf5 -lz -o
          build/lib.linux-i686-2.7/netCDF4.so" failed with exit status 1

Michael:  You're missing the hdf5 library.  You should be able to
    install that (along with the netcdf version 4 library) using the
    Ubuntu package manager. I don't know what the relevant package names
    are.

See the docs at netcdf4-python.googlecode.com for installation instructions
(including how to install the dependencies).

You can also file a help request there and I'll see it (since this
    is not really a basemap issue).

-Jeff

Just installed h5utils from package manager. Getting same errors.  In package
manager I'm searching on hdf5.  If there's a package there I'm missing, then it
certainly is not obvious.

Mike

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449