Nelly,
I would like to compile libpng into matplotlib if possible, ie static.
Seems like thats not possible and I would like to would LD_LIBRARY_PATH as
much as possible. I much prefer -Wl, rpath or LD_PRELOAD.

Jouni,
for the pkg-config can I use the one with my OS, /usr/bin/pkg-config? and
also libpng comes with its own variation of pkg-config (not named that).
How can I include that? do I set PKG_CONFIG_PATH ?