I don't get this on matplotlib/master (and therefore probably not on
1.2rc2).

I'm pretty sure masked array line plotting was fixed at some point this
release cycle (I cannot find the appropriate github issue to link to), so I
suggest this is a known bug with 1.1.1 and fixed in 1.2. Just to be clear,
I am using the TkAgg backend, and there is a remote possiblity that this
bug is backend dependent. Is there any chance you could test this with the
latest release candidate?

Many Thanks,