I also think that would be useful. It would, for example, allow to
generate "preview" plots from other languages, without interfacing
them to Python. It must be said that MPL is actually quite nice
looking in the default settings for basic plotting, and this is an
nice feature that can exploit.

I have seen many pieces of code using SuperMongo for plotting. I find
it absolutely ugly, and super expensive, but it is probably the easier
plotting system to call from FORTRAN (or, at least, it was).