On 10/18/12 5:45 AM, Damon McDougall wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Alexander Eberspaecher
> <alexander.eberspaec...@ovgu.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:38:27 +0100
>> Damon McDougall <damon.mcdoug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How do people feel about perhaps adding a matplotlib version, mocking
>>> the same calling signature as graph?
>>>
>>> I think the most important question is: would it be useful?
>> Yes, this would certainly be useful! I think there are people
>> unfamiliar with Python, but rather excited about MPL's plotting
>> capabilities.
>>
>> I personally would want it to read data from white-space separated text
>> files (np.loadtxt()), probably CSV files, and HDF5 files (e.g. using
>> h5py, if available).
>>
>> To be useful for different purposes, I'd want the tool to be able to use
>> different backends (producing e.g. PNG output in case you need a figure
>> to send via e-mail or PGF output in case you are preparing a LaTeX
>> document). Matplotlibrc should be hidden from the user.
>>
>> As Gnuplot was specifically mentioned in another e-mail in this thread,
>> let me use that opportunity to mention that MPL falls behind Gnuplot in
>> terms of line styles. Using MPL, I found ls="-" and maybe ls="--" to be
>> useful, whereas Gnuplot offers 9 linestyles that are easy to
>> distinguish visually. Compare e.g. the figure linked in
>> http://www.der-schnorz.de/2010/09/gnuplot-colors-presentations-papers-and-contrast/
>> In case this is of general interest, we might discuss that in a new
>> thread.
>>
>> As a side note, personally, for text file visualisation, I often use
>> this dirty MPL plotting plugin for the text editor of my choice (Geany):
>> https://github.com/aeberspaecher/GeanyPlot
>> A command line tool would of course be preferred.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Alex
> Ok wow, awesome feedback! I started on this yesterday morning to see
> how it would go, and I've already got something working that mimics
> the command-line syntax of GNU's `graph` (except it currently only
> supports one data file as input).
>
> I'm currently just developing on a local feature branch in the
> matplotlib repository, but I'm happy to pull it out to a different
> repo and announce it here once I make some more ground on it. I
> haven't pushed anything yet. If I do I'll make an announcement here.
>
> One thing I have noticed is that GNU's `graph` is rather fast.
> Compared to matplotlib, GNU's `graph` blows matplotlib out of the
> water when it comes to speed. Though, in my opinion, matplotlib wins
> when it comes to output quality. As far as I'm concerned, quality wins
> over speed but I realise that there needs to be some speed
> improvements in matplotlib's backends. I have noticed that text takes
> quite a while to process in the backend (currently using Agg for PDF
> and PNG output).
>
> Regarding input data file-type, I agree, supporting those formats
> [...]
Along these lines, it would be nice to have some built in data sets to
show off matplotlib's features--maybe just another library with a bunch
of CSV strings, or lists. I am thinking of the built-in data sets for R
that allow a new user to experiment without having to make up data each
time. Although, I see that already I am suggesting more unneeded
complexities into something that should be simple. Just a thought.

Paul