In an Qt application I am extending, I display a list of thumbnails,
selecting a thumbnail opens a plot window with the source of the
thumbnail.  I a newbie at all this but did manage to write a simple
widget which embedded a matplotlib FigureCanvas.  It appears that I also
need to code the zoom to rectangle and save view functionality I like in
the default plot window.  I have no idea if this is easy or hard, so
thought it may just be easier be able to reuse the default plotting
window.    When I show() a plot form within a Qt application I get the
following message printed on the console:

QCoreApplication::exec: The event loop is already running

I think I understand the error, obviously the application I calling form
control the even loop.  I suppose I need to somehow supply a parent
window to pylab plot or the show() function.   Is there a way to create
a plot and show so as not to use the main loop?

Thanks.

Brickle.