On Dec 17, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Pierre Haessig wrote:

> Le 17/12/2012 21:59, Pierre Haessig a écrit :
>> Maybe this the code behind the masking of half your curve, but I don't
>> know more.
> Looking closer at the plot, the curve is actually not masked !
>
> Actually the "rmin functionality' is activated with rmin=-2*pi so that
> the whole r-axis is offset by +2pi. The plot is therefore pretty
> consistent only it is not what you want, I guess.
> I don't know how to disable this radius offset functionality.

Hi Pierre, Bob and all,

I reiterate that in polar coordinates, a negative value of "r" does not make
sense.  It is confusing at best.

At the very least, I think matplotlib should raise a NOISY warning.  (I just
checked that it does not).

I would advocate for a change however.  I suggest that given negative values of
"r", pyplot.polar raises an error and exits.  One could add a kwarg that allows
you to override this default behavior, "neg_r=False" unless the user specifies
otherwise.

In general, when I code things that don't make sense mathematically, I like it
when the code tells me I made a dumb mistake.  If the code is defaulting to
"fixing" the dumb mistake for me without any explicit warnings, that is more
likely to raise a more serious error in my code, and a much harder bug to track
down.

My two cents (well, it looks like a bit more than two).

Regards,

Andre