Hi Pierre,

>> There is no mention in the docs about the treatment of negative "r".  The
>> treatment is contrary to my expectations, and I would wager contrary to many
>> peoples expectations.  So at a new minimum, at the very least, the docs
>> should make clear what is happening.
>>
>> I would further suggest that there are options specified by kwargs what the
>> behavior is.  The default could be the current behavior, which sounds like
>> it is standard to some, and another option would be to complain if r < 0, as
>> I think many others would expect.
> I fully agree with the idea of enabling users to specify the behavior
> they want. I'm not sure about raising an error, but it's true that it
> can be pretty helpful to detect computational mistakes.

This (above) sums up why I would like to have the option of matplotlib error
raising for negative values of r.
Just to set the scene, I come from a physics background.  So for me, and any
application I would have, r is interpreted as a radius bounded from [0,inf].
Otherwise, keeping track, for example, of the motion of an object in polar
coordinates would be more difficult.
Constructing polar coordinates is not always obvious, and one can make a
mistake.  Especially with something like matplotlib, where it is easy to
experiment, sometimes one just throws the parameterization at the computer and
sees what comes out.

>From this perspective, it would be nice if I were to get a warning or error
>message.
I am perfectly happy to have the default behavior remain what it is.

I wish I were in a position to actually contribute to adding this new option.
At the moment, I am in the midst of job hunting season, and would not be able
to attempt it for a few months.  If no one has taken up the task by then, and a
developer were willing to look over my shoulder now and then, I would be
interested in trying to add such an option.  I have not yet contributed in such
a way.

Regards,

Andre