I want to create a matplotlib figure as part of a program I am writing
and therefore would like to create the figure in a fully object oriented
way, ie not in the pyplot state-full way.  I understand how to work with
a figure object to create axes objects and then fill the axes objects
with primitive artists but I can't figure out what type of object to put
the figure object in to get it displayed.  From digging around in the
source it looks like the show() method comes from the backend, but when
I looked in 'matplotlib/backends/backend_agg' I saw no such object.
What am I missing?  I guess I could put the figure in a Qt window, but I
like the functionality provided by the default matplotlib window.

Thanks for the help