Am 28.02.2013 um 14:31 schrieb Pierre Haessig:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Le 27/02/2013 20:59, Thomas Sprinzing a écrit :
>> To sum it up: use the old 7-bit equivalent for the degree sign, not any
>> fancydancy UTF-8 character that is commonly not included in ye olde style
>> postscript standard font embedded into your laser printer waaaay back then
>> in the last millenium...
> Just out of curiosity, I looked at the list of ASCII printable
> characters
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#ASCII_printable_characters) and
> didn't find the degree sign. However, I found it in the so-called "8
> bits extensions", which I believe is just the same as the Unicode U+00B0

confirmed by looking at
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/info/charsets.html

Adobe western 2 has the same info.

Alt-0179 or U+00B0

So, best is to use the degree sign.

If you're not sure, what's present at rendering time, maybe try to force the
generator to convert fonts to ps paths.
But i donÄt know if matplotlib has tat optin at all...