Hi Tim,

Whenever you have two python versions installed to one machine, it is
generally a good practice to set your PATH environment variable to the
directory where the python executable you want to use currently lies, and
make it permanent by adding it to your ~/.bash_profile file (on MacOSX).
Say your python.org version of python was installed in /something/bin. Then
add the following line to your ~/.bash_profile:

export PATH=/something/bin:$PATH

Then run these commands:
source ~/.bash_profile
which python
which pip

If the output is /something/bin, then you are good to go; pip should then
install matplotlib in the correct place. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Alex

Alex Goodman
Graduate Research Assistant