Alex,

Thanks for the information.  I think python.org's version did this for me:

$ cat ~/.bash_profile
# Setting PATH for Python 2.7
# The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH

It turns out, my problem actually was in ipython / numpy.  I reinstalled
numpy to 1.8.0 and ipython was not recognizing it (similar to the
matplotlib problem).  I reinstalled ipython with "sudo pip install numpy"
but it still recognized Apple's numpy.  The solution was to install ipython
via "easy_install ipython"-- then it was able to recognize the correct
numpy, and correspondingly when I installed the latest version of
matplotlib, ipython recognized the version I wanted.

Thanks,
Tim