Well, there is a list in ~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc (see
http://matplotlib.org/users/customizing.html)

> #### CONFIGURATION BEGINS HERE
>
> # the default backend; one of GTK GTKAgg GTKCairo CocoaAgg FltkAgg
> # MacOSX QtAgg Qt4Agg TkAgg WX WXAgg Agg Cairo GDK PS PDF SVG Template
> # You can also deploy your own backend outside of matplotlib by
> # referring to the module name (which must be in the PYTHONPATH) as
> # 'module://my_backend'
> backend      : Qt4Agg

see also:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5091993/list-of-all-available-matplotlib-backends

I'm not sure about the dependencies, I guess you have to check out each one of
them. If you don't use a package manager, resolving all dependency issues might
be quite painful.

Best,
Felix Patzelt