Are you sure that you want to use Python 3.3 on OSX 10.6??? Do you really still
use 10.6? Do you want Python 3? I'm not sure on the current status, but many
projects took quite a while to get ported over from Python 2. Furthermore, as
often with free software, installation can be a bit tricky. It is certainly a
very different experience than installing "normal" Mac applications.

For a bit of context, most Linux distribution have some version of Python /
Matplotlib in their respective package managers. These are easily installed if
the particular package manager on your Linux offers the versions you want.
Otherwise, you will have to do some work.

OSX does not have an official package manager, but there are several inofficial
options. I'm using http://www.macports.org which is slow because it installs
its own private versions for everything, but it works very well. This is
probably the easiest way to get all the open source stuff you want on your Mac
and I use it a lot. Another popular and more lightweight package manager is
homebrew, which relies more on the system libraries from Apple.

The minimal installation instructions without a package manager seem to be
these: https://github.com/rueckstiess/mtools/wiki/matplotlib-Installation-Guide
If you're a real unix hacker, you can install everything from source. I did
that before, and it takes a lot of time and in-depth knowledge.

Finally, there are several pre-packaged distributions like
https://www.enthought.com or  https://store.continuum.io/cshop/anaconda/ (see
http://penandpants.com/install-python/). They might come with a normal OSX
installer. Maybe https://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/ does the trick for you?

Anyway, these are just some suggestions. Maybe you want to start a separate
thread on the mailing list about the best way to install matplotlib on a mac.
Please note that I cannot comment in detail on any of the installation methods
that I didn't use myself.