I'm sorry, these are questions that could be found in the Axes
documentation, but I really don't feel like scrolling through 100 pages
that are irrelevant hoping I can find the relevant functions, which I
don't even know what they are called. Is there ever going to be a
concise listing of functions? Also there seem to be a lot of
undocumented functions related to bounding boxes and copying from the
background--I had to find Stack Overflow examples to learn about those.

What I want to do is

(1) plot a couple of lines with y autoscaling and x autoscaling on
(2) turn off y autoscaling so the y limits do not change further if the
x limits are changed
(3) change the x limits

What axes functions are needed?

Note that I'm not using pyplot, rather the API so I'm looking for
methods of Axes.

Mike