I've been searching and reading through source code and google searches
to see if this is possible, but no luck so far. I'm basically trying to
map some data using Basemap, use contourf to map it to an image, and
then put that image in a geotiff (or other format) for use in other GIS
programs. I have other tools for remapping data and creating geotiffs,
but the contour image looks better. All I would need to get this to work
would be an array representing the image inside the axes of a contourf
plot. I found a lot of geotiff -> Basemap png results, but I would like
the reverse.

Since the plots are made using paths/patches I'm guessing I would have
to have a backend render the image and then extract the image somehow.
Does anyone have some tips or tricks to do something like this? Or am I
thinking about this completely wrong?

Thanks for any help and if you could CC me in any replies it would be
much appreciated.

-Dave