What you are looking for is called "rasterization". Matplotlib does this
deep within the codebase and is not accessible (believe me, I tried).
However, there have been other discussions in this mailing list about how
to use GDAL to rasterize a set of polygons (represented as paths),
including some links to stack-overflow questions. It isn't a complete
end-to-end solution, but the pieces are there.

Cheers!
Ben Root