Thanks again Ryan. That's exactly what I want to achieve; i.e. remove
the tick at 0 and only keep 5 and 10. Your solution works, but it's a
bit of hack to use magic constants. I could however get those values
from the xlim.

Eric, I would describe the desired tick placement algorithm as
removing the first tick on the axis. It can be achieved like this:
ax1.xaxis.set_major_locator(MaxNLocator(prune='lower'))

But that then overrides this:
ax1.xaxis.set_major_locator(MultipleLocator(5))