This package is indeeed pretty nice, and I will surely take a look into it, but the way styles are added does not seem quite practical or shareable. In my opinion, having a style file for each paper makes things more flexible, although this package may get more control out of the box. Also, not being built-in makes you install an other package, and I think some people either do not want to do it, nor know how to do it.

On an other topic, I started working on some of the features you wanted to integrate with your PR <https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/2702>. I guessed that when you talked about adding the |set_ticks_location| to the rcParams, you wanted to control whether the ticks are in or out of the axes box?

Finally, I added a |style| parameter to the rcParams. It lets you choose from your |matplotlibrc| which style you want to use. On top of that, I made it recursive, so that you can design a style directly from other styles. The only thing I could not get to work was to have your style loading directly when importing matplotlib (when defining from your rc file). You actually have to import the |matplotlib.style| lib to get your rc defined style to load up.

I will continue working on the other features described in olga’s PR <https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/2702> before submitting one on my own. But if you want to take a look, and tell me how I can improve what I did, you can find it on my repo <https://github.com/Mrngilles/matplotlib>.

Thanks
Marin