>  I take it that it doesn't happen using the GTK3Agg backend?
GTK3Agg is unimplemented at the GTK3-end:

  File
"c:\Python34\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\backend_gtk3agg.py", line
69, in on_draw_event
    buf, cairo.FORMAT_ARGB32, width, height)
NotImplementedError: Surface.create_for_data: Not Implemented yet.

> What about the threading portion? Does it happen if you take the threading
> out?
I removed all calls to threads and swapped Gdk.threads_add_timeout to
Glib.timeout_add. This made little difference.

However if I comment the call to self.canvas.draw(), the python memory
utilisation sits at 30.8Mb (but the graph does not update of course).

Thanks

David